Praying in the Spirit

This past week we have observed many natural disasters like hurricanes, fires, an earthquake, threats of a tsunami and more hurricanes. 

Our family also has two kids away at college making their own choices and one was in the path of hurricane Irma. Thankfully it slowed down before it got to her location.

At times like this we pray more. And this got me thinking about how there is a difference of praying 'at God' and praying 'to God'. There is also a difference of praying 'in the flesh' and 'in the Spirit'.

Sometimes when we pray, we are so caught up in the circumstances that our faith and trust in God is shaken. We feel that we just need to get God on our team and to do what we see as best. We think from our own perspective and reason with God for our will to be done.

I've found myself doing this recently and can tell that these prayers leave me feeling unsatisfied in my spirit. 

Other times I have sought to find a QUIET place and seek God in the stillness. I have surrendered to HIS will and sovereignty. I lean towards trusting with faith that HE is working all things together for our good. I come with a heart of praise, humbleness and can pray with hope and without knowing the answer. This is when God can give me peace and I let go of my will. This is when I can hear new thoughts, eternal and Christ-centered ways in my heart. I am more satisfied because I know my Savior has a plan and it is rooted in His love for us. Then I am no longer praying with my expectations and I can be more content with my life in Christ.

Thankfully, the Holy Spirit is able to take our prayers, shake off our humanness and tell God the heart of the matter which we may not even understand ourselves. He is also able to guide us to the PEACE we can have when we decide to BE STILL and surrender to HIM. Thankfully He is faithful.

"No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." Romans 8:37

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." Romans 8: 26

No comments: